Two dead, five missing in strikes on Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhia

  • Share

At least two persons were killed and five others were reported missing in attacks on the city of Zaporizhzhia in southeast Ukraine, the region’s governor said on Thursday, blaming Russia for the attacks.

The city under Ukrainian control is situated in the Zaporizhzhia region, which is also the location of the heavily shelled nuclear plant that is under Russian occupation.

This week, Moscow annexed the area despite not having complete authority over it.

Oleksandr Starukh, the governor chosen by Ukraine, posted on social media that “one woman died and another person died in an ambulance.”

He stated that after the strikes, there were at least five persons stuck beneath the debris.

He claimed that a rescue effort that was still going on had saved “many individuals.”

Starukh had previously uploaded a picture of a burning structure that had collapsed.

According to him, Russian military fired seven times at “high-rise buildings.”

Last week, Ukraine said that at least 30 people had died after a convoy of passenger vehicles was shelled in the Zaporizhzhia region in an attack Kiev attributed to Moscow.

Putin completed the annexation of four Ukrainian districts on Wednesday: Donetsk, Lugansk, Zaporizhzhia, and Kherson. However, the Kremlin has not yet revealed which parts of those regions will be annexed.

According to the president of Ukraine, 14 persons were killed in attacks in the Donetsk region throughout the course of the previous day.

Source: AFP

  • Share